Sunday, April 25, 2010

Is Social Media the next generation art?



Let me give you examples of what social media is and reference it to art...

Types of Social Media I encounter are:
-celebrity gossip sites
-news sites (comments section)
-facebook (pictures, notes, etc.)
-youtube
-any other place where people comment and interact about a particular subject

Social Media gives me a more holistic perspective about a subject and formulates my opinions on places and events.

One of the ways that Social Media has affected me is that it has caused me to be more aware of how to talk to people (I do not like to argue). Social Media, essentially, explores the psychology of the human mind.

Now, back to ART. Art can either be the subject matter for Social Media or it can be the actual media! Yes, people now edit each others artwork through the internet and create a collaborative idea. I will mention some of the websites that do this later in this post.

Everyone can remember a time when their parents were his or her main source of knowledge and influence. For me, while my parents contributed to most of my perceptions, my moving to different countries and places helped me interact with diverse groups of people (bringing a similar effect as Social Media) .

Now, much of Social Media is experienced through the web, but one thing that I have noticed is that people act differently on the internet than in real life. Could it be that people can reveal more about their mind through Social Media?

An Xiao
Learningtoloveyoumore.com
masterpiece 2.0
Man Bartlett
Everyonethatweknow.com
Nic Rad

These are some of the people/websites you can check out to experience some of Social Media Art.

Now for the artists out there or those who come in contact with social media:

Does social media affect how you work as an artist/ person? How?

How do you feel about Social Media? Is our modern culture really influenced by social media, and is art?



Originally, I was going to ask people on the internet and in social settings about ideas for my artwork, however, I feel like going directly to the Social Media setting such as this one will deliver the biggest impact on my art.

From the time I started this project, I made one painting already,




So, I have a blank canvas in front of me, and I will start to work on the piece that I mentioned I will do in this video of mine,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPD7WGZZWYA



Wish me luck! :) -Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment